Saint Mathieu’s lighthouse
|Located in the abbey precinct, the slender white tower is 36 meters high. It was built in 1835 and replaced a fire that the monks had kept burning for centuries on the top of the big square tower adjacent to the abbatial church. Sailors can recognize it at night to its intermittent light which silently sweeps the sea and lights up the surrounding houses every thirty seconds.|
The semaphore house
It replaced an old lookout post and it is the guard of a sector of the French littoral, watching the traffic in the western of the Chanel. Lighthouse keepers and coastal guards have nowadays taken over services which were performed by the monks of the abbey in the past.